Polling is a favorite American sport. This, the first,
issue of Outlaw Anthroposophy must, therefore, run straight at this
unique opportunity. Asking questions is also a way of communicating certain
kinds of ideas, as well as cultivating and communicating a certain kind
of attitude. The next issue will be completely devoted to
the responses to this poll.
- Do anthroposophists have a sense of humor about anthroposophy or
Rudolf Steiner? If so, please send us your favorite joke(s).
- Aren't you tired of the word anthroposophy? I mean, really, isn't
it time we called our society and our work something which means
something to people who are not members or friends? Isn't it a bit pretentious
to have a name, for an organization, you have to explain?
- Was, or is, Rudolf Steiner perfect? If not, please send in examples
of flaws you think he had or has.
- Are there any initiates now active in the Society? If you think so,
send in their name (or names, as the case may be); isn't it time for such
people to come out of the closet?
- Anthroposophy has been active in America for several decades now.
Being that the American has different soul capacities from the Central
European, could you please send in the list of "original" anthroposophical
work that you have observed in America. Not derivative work, not Waldorf
Schools or any other impulse which first appeared in Europe, but that which
is unique to America.
- How important in your daily living is the guidance and lecture material
that comes out of the Vorstand in Dornach? Please give concrete examples.
- The basis for the "authority" of the school of spiritual
science is the supposed natural hierarchy of real capacities. What evidence
exists that there is a sufficient differentiation of capacities so that
the Vorstand has a right to lay claim to this natural order?
- If the anthroposophical society is dead, with what do you
think we should replace it?
- Do you think some effort must be made to reform the formal Society?
- How would you suggest we go about such a task?
- Have you noticed any of these questions making you check out your
own assumptions about anthroposophy and the Society? Please share some
of those assumptions with us.
- Who would you vote for, as the future Maitreya Buddha: a) Steiner,
b) Tomberg, c) me, d) your choice? Please include your basis for this vote.
- Are you superstitious?
- Where do you think Rudolf Steiner is right now and what do you suppose
he is doing?
- If you were on the Vorstand, what would you recommend to the membership
as we enter the 21st century?
- What question(s) do you think should have been added to this poll?
- Is it possible to define anthroposophy in some other way than Steiner
did in the First Leading Thought? Please provide an example.
- What is your favorite Steiner idea or quote?
- Have you read, or are you trying to read, one book 50 times (as
recommended by Steiner)?
- Which book?
- Will you lend me some money - include how much?
- Have you ever had the thought that the Christian Community priesthood
bears on odd resemblance in its role with regard to the anthroposophical
movement to that role played by the Jesuits (the Society of Jesus) in the
organism of the Catholic Church?
- In the same vein (we are now cutting very deep, so perhaps it should
be an artery), doesn't it sometimes seem like the Spirit of Rome (Steiner,
The Challenge of the Times) has taken over our movement and installed
Steiner as a kind of invisible Pope, whose sayings are infallible? (Dornach
= Rome; the Vorstand = the Curia; the Class Readers = the Cardinals; the
National Society leaders = the Bishops;...does it hurt yet?)
- What rights (or responsibilities) does (or should) the ordinary
membership have in the creation of the future of the Anthroposophical Society?
- Imagine Rudolf Steiner before you, and Archangel Michael behind
him, what would he (Steiner) say? Or would he just cry?
- Are not remorse and shame matters of moral development? Should we
feel any of these emotions when we contemplate the current condition of
- Yes, I know I said 25 questions. But, I didn't say I could count.
When you send in your answers to this poll, please include a statement
about whether we may give your identity to the extent we quote something
you send in. For example: limit us to first name and last initial, no name
[You can also write to Joel at
- Bob and Nancy]